Spicy rice filling with proteins and intense sweet-tart flavor of sun-dried tomatoes served with delicate taste of the tomato sauce.
Sometimes you need to wash a lot of dishes…
But it is worth it.
Stuffed cabbage rolls with rice, red beans and tomato sauce
- white cabbage – 1 medium sized
- rice – 3/4 cup
- red beans – 1 can
- sun-dried tomatoes – 10 medium sized
- pumpkin seeds – 4 spoons
- onion – 1 large sized
- garlic – 3 gloves
- soy sauce – 2 spoons
- marjoram – 1 teaspoon
- parsley – 1 teaspoon
- smoked paprika – 1 teaspoon
- sweet paprika – 1 teaspoon
- hot paprika – 1 teaspoon
- turmeric – 1 teaspoon
- vegetable broth – 1 cup
- olive oil – 6 spoons
- bay leaf – 2
- allspice – 2
- pepper – to taste
- tomato puree – 1 can
- plant-based cream – 1/3 cup
- natural yeast – 2 spoons
- olive oil – 1 spoon
- Follow package directions for preparing rice.
- Remove the entire core of the cabbage.
- In a large bowl, cover cabbage with boiling water and using a fork peel off each leaf – if necessary, cover cabbage with boiling water again (we need 10 full leaves. Don’t worry about the shape of rest of the leaves).
- Steam all cabbage leaves for about 15 minutes.
- In a bowl, using a fork crush red beans.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, then add diced onion, bay leafs, allspices and cook until onion softened.
- Remove bay leafs and allspices. Add into onion chopped garlic and red beans. Fry for about 10 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat and add rice, pumpkin seeds, diced sun-dried tomatoes, soy sauce, marjoram, parsley, smoked paprika, sweet paprika, hot paprika, turmeric and pepper – mix well all ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Cut out the thick vein from the bottom of 10 leaves making a V-shaped cut. Place 3 spoons rice filing mixture on cabbage leaf. Fold left and right sides over and roll up. Repeat.
- Line a baking dish with leftover cabbage. Place stuffed cabbage rolls in a baking dish and pour the vegetable broth over all. Cover with foil and bake for about 20 minutes.
- Remove foil, using spoon pour the liquid from under cabbage over all rolls and bake 10 minutes, when pour over again and bake another 10 minutes.
- In a small pot heat olive oil for a sauce, reduce heat, add tomato puree, plant-based cream, natural yeast and stir for a few minutes.
- Serve the staffed cabbage rolls with the sauce.
Lazy way of preparing broth would be to stir 1 vegetable bouillon cube with cup of boiling water. Otherwise refer to: Vegetable broth.
To core the cabbage use a sharp knife to cut the core around, then use a corkscrew to remove the core from cabbage.